With 500 to 1,000 comments posted every day across my 2,500++ videos, there's bound to be some repetition, or even a lot of it. Here's a collection of responses to all of the most common inquiries from viewers around the world.
Q: Does LEGO send you free sets to review?
- A: No. I have no direct relationship with The LEGO Group of companies, which does not sponsor or endorse any of my content. I buy all of my sets at full price from public sources as a normal consumer.
Q: Where do you buy from & how do you get sets so "early?"
Q: Why do you always complain about products? (or) Why do you always rave about products? (aka) Why do you say both positive and negative things in your reviews?
- A: Because they're reviews, not advertisements or roasts. See my detailed answer.
Q: When will the next update video about your [layout/creation/anything] be posted?
- A: The next time it is updated enough to warrant a new video :) My builds & videos aren’t tied to a regular schedule.
Q: Have you a done a video about [some set]?
- A: Search YouTube or my channel for "jangbricks [name of the set]" to quickly see if I have what you're looking for.
Q: First? 2nd comment? 100th viewer?
- A: Nobody will ever know, because pointless number-spam is auto-deleted across my channel! The endless pages of posts saying "1st" and "213th like" and such that are commonplace across most of YouTube have no home on my channel. I choose to encourage thoughtful comments and reward meaningful discussion between viewers.
Q: Can you show your studio? How do I make my videos look exactly like yours?
Q: Do you have any tips for new YouTube channels?
- A: Yes. See my detailed answer.
Q: Do you use scripts & narrate your videos separate from filming them?
- A: No. With the very, very, most extremely rare of exceptions, I record live, freestyle audio during filming with no script of any kind.
Q: Will you sell, trade, or give me one or all of your sets or figures?
- A: No. See my simple stance on selling, & giving away items.
Q: How do you restore old, discolored LEGO parts?
- A: See detailed answer & video tutorial.
Q: Where do you get clear stands for LEGO models?
Q: How do you deal with dust on your LEGO layout?
- A: See my video tutorial.
Q: Can I use your music?
- A: No, nearly all music I ever use is either very expensive, licensed material, or my own copyrighted creation. It is strictly illegal reuse this material without license and you risk permanent banning from YouTube if you utilize copyrighted material without permission.
Q: Will you make a how-to/tutorial or instructions for a custom creation?
- A: I don't have the time, I'm afraid, but I try show enough detail in my videos to let anyone Pause & see how things are made.
Q: A video was just uploaded; how does it have comments from days ago?
- A: YouTube's "uploaded on" text is wrong, is all. The video was just previously unlisted & linked from my blog and/or social media.
Q: Why don't you follow or subscribe to anyone?
Q: Is Disney licensing jacking up LEGO Star Wars & Marvel set prices?
- A: That's a major (though common) misconception. See my detailed answer.
Q: How come [some products] used to be good but now they're just making them for money?
Q: Why do you pronounce "AT-AT" phonetically?
- A: Because that's how it's pronounced! See my detailed answer.
Q: What tables do you use in your city layout?
- A: Linnmon from Ikea with Adils legs.
Q: Why do you pronounce "ninja" that way?
- A: See how to pronounce Ninja. It's a Japanese word that's easy to pronounce correctly. Having watched a lot of Japanese TV & movies as a child and having participated in Japanese martial arts training in my teens, I cannot bring myself to use the Western "ninnn-jyuh" mispronunciation.
Q: Why don't you include prices in Euro in the Brickset stats panel in your videos?
- A: Prices vary from Eurozone country to country. Brickset separately lists France & Germany, but there are others that differ as well. If I list a single price, it will be factually incorrect for a significant percentage of interested viewers.