Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Tuesday, December 30, 2014
Second biggest set in this Chima wave!
This is good. I think CCBS can definitely use more green :)
Let me very quickly get one thing out of the way. I will not share any precise lists, photos, or videos of what I use in my own studio for two big reasons:
- I don't want to give or in any way support the impression that you must use the exact equipment I do to get nice results, or that copying my methods will copy the popularity my work has been so lucky to acquire. Both of these ideas are miles away from reality.
- The overwhelming majority of my setup is home-grown and hand-built by me (with raw materials & tools) to my own design that's specifically tailored to my needs and quite different from any commercial product or industry standard arrangement I've seen. I also change & evolve it continually over time.
Still a lot more Friends & Disney Princess sets in the queue! They've released a lot of them this season, which suggests to me that the series are pretty successful!
Another of the popular battle packs, this time with the Star Wars equivalent of the Blue Man Group :)
Monday, December 29, 2014
Now here's a 2015 Legends of Chima set with a big ol' obvious gimmick... that I quite like.
Another re-imagined classic in the new 2015 LEGO Bionicle series, Toa Pohatu!
I'm keeping things as varied as possible this release season to keep anybody from getting tired of too much of any one theme. This one takes us back to the Mega Bloks Collector Series Call of Duty line with a new figure pack that's now purchasable.
Another of the new small 3-in-1 Creator buildings for 2015 here:
Sunday, December 28, 2014
Q: How much did [some item] cost and/or where can I buy it?
- Here are places I most frequently buy from:
- Amazon.com (also Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.jp, etc.)
- LEGO Shop (physical stores + online)
- Toys R Us (physical stores + online)
- Target (physical stores + online)
- Walmart (physical stores + online)
- eBay (be sure enable the 'Worldwide' option in searches)
- The price of every product I review can vary from store to store and country to country, plus it will change over time as old stuff either gets discounted or becomes rare. For current, accurate information for the region in which you live, do a web search for the product by name. For LEGO set info, check out Brickset.
- Availability also varies by region and changes over time. If I tell you I bought a product from one place, by the time you see the video it may be sold out there and thus the information I gave you was useless. Alternately, I may have had a really tough time finding something, but in your local area, there are tons of the thing on store shelves. This is why I avoid stating where I bought products in my reviews -- where I got something when I got it is irrelevant, and what you need to know is where you can get it, when you want to get it. For current, accurate information for the region in which you live, do a web search for the product by name. Some stores that sell both locally and online may also have stock checking tools to let you see from the Web whether an item is available at a physical location nearby.
Another supplemental-style set here that asks kids not to forget about The LEGO Movie. This one is a great deal for the figures, plus it introduces one absolutely fantastic new color for a rare piece that is going to open up a world of possibilities for custom accessory builds.
If the Friends theme makes one of your eyelids twitch uncomfortably, then I ask you this. Watch one Friends set review. Just one. This one. This set is good. Really good. It also introduces some very nice parts & part colors that are useful in builds across any theme.
Here's another Swamp Police subtheme set that uses that same main villain character. The set on the whole, though, brings me much happiness. There are some very classy and different builds here that complement other City items without repeating commonly-used ideas.
Friday, December 26, 2014
Moooore Bionicle! This won't stop any time soon :)
Here's another LEGO Star Wars Rebels set, introducing the first variant of a Sabine minifig.
This set surprised me with not only new motorcycle fairings, but new frames as well, plus a brand new round 2x2 jumper piece!
Labels: LEGO City
My first experience with one of the new Toa from the rebooted LEGO Bionicle series. Anyone who says this is not as good as the original Toa Mata & Nuva is... someone I disagree with very strongly :)
It has been awhile since I reviewed a new Legends of Chima set! There are a ton of new sets from this theme beginning to show up in stores, though, so I have a lot of work ahead of me.
This was one of the earlier 2015 LEGO Friends sets to hit the streets. The specific topic of the set is pretty popular, but I personally wish they had used up the budget for the set in a slightly different way.
Excellent, another battle or troop builder pack, something which LEGO Star Wars fans seem to truly love for quickly & inexpensively building up their armies. I love it when companies make exactly what customers want.
Here's the big one, the main police station for the 2015 LEGO Swamp Police theme. Ironically, the real police station portion of this set is shockingly tiny.
Thursday, December 25, 2014
Alright! Another small minifig-scale Creator building set with three different builds that can work in any LEGO City.
Well now, this is good. I like the concept (and have been pushing for it for awhile) and the price is a big, pleasant surprise.
I'm not a big comic universe fan, but I got this set for the viewers and ended up liking it quite a bit, myself.
This is another of those Friends sets I'm hopeful manages to occasionally reach across the gender aisle, so to speak. (To the male side, to be clear.)
Answering the "how do you get sets?" question for the millionth time ;)
Wednesday, December 24, 2014
My first 2015 LEGO Star Wars set review, this one continues into the SW: Rebels subtheme.
Another of the small "good guy" sets of the first wave here, this one blue for the water element.
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
R.I.P. Hero Factory, welcome back Bionicle (all made of "Hero Factory parts" HAH!). This is the first of what I'm sure will be a long series of Bionicle-related videos from me for this season. As always, there will be combination model videos, summary videos, and more. Stay tuned & spread the word.
Monday, December 22, 2014
The barely-early 2015 set release season continues, this time on the Mega Bloks side of the fence. This is a highly anticipated set that introduces the first official Spartan Jorge-052 and also the first Mega Bloks Covenant drone figures.
Sunday, December 21, 2014
Suddenly, a wild full set of CMF series 13 minifigs appears! This is a pretty solid collection, in my opinion, with no forgettable or unusable figures in the lot. Be sure to post up your favorite(s)!
Friday, December 19, 2014
It took awhile, but finally the largest of this first wave of Walking Dead construction sets hit store shelves in my area.
Another little nod to a cool slice of history.
Thursday, December 18, 2014
As promised, the second official build of the 2014 Technic Bulldozer set.
Here's the second of just three new Titan models Ionix has brought to the US this season.